Which Masters in Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program Should I choose?
I have been looking into the Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing programs for years. My quest started long before I completed my two Bachelor’s degrees, one in 2013, the other in 2015. Now it’s 2018, and I am feeling the need to apply because with each passing year it feels as though my tiny boat is drifting farther off course.
I wanted to document my process so I’ve made a list of the programs I have looked at so far. I have visited the campuses of some of these schools, such as PLU and Seattle Pacific. (I live in Washington State.) I have also spoken to the former director at PLU and I know several people who have graduated from PLU as well as Goddard, Pacific in Oregon, and The Iowa Writer’s Workshop. (There might be others.) Other schools I have contacted for information and brochures, such as Harvard, Full Sail, Oregon Pacific, Sarah Lawrence, Southern New Hampshire, Seattle Pacific, The New School, University of Iowa, University of Central Florida, University of Texas El Paso, and Western. I have books written by professors at these schools, novels written by teachers there and I often pull out the brochures and look through them like a child gazing at candy inside a candy store. Or more like a starving elephant, so hungry to begin.
MFA / Creative Writing Programs to investigate (The schools are listed in alphabetical order. )
- Eastern Washington U MFA https://sites.ewu.edu/mfa/
- Full Sail U https://www.fullsail.edu/degrees/creative-writing-master
- Goddard College https://www.goddard.edu/academics/master-fine-arts-creative-writing-2/
- Harvard https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/creative-writing-literature-degree/degree-requirements
- Oregon Pacific https://www.pacificu.edu/mfa-writing
- Pacific Lutheran U https://www.plu.edu/mfa/
- Sarah Lawrence College https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/writing-mfa/
- Southern New Hampshire U https://www.snhu.edu/campus-majors/graduate/mfa-creative-writing-fiction-nonfiction
- Seattle Pacific University http://spu.edu/academics/college-of-arts-sciences/mfa
- The New School https://www.newschool.edu/public-engagement/mfa-creative-writing/
- University of Iowa https://writersworkshop.uiowa.edu/graduate-program/graduate-program
- University of Central Florida http://english.cah.ucf.edu/graduate/creative.php
- University of Texas, El Paso, MFA https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/creative-writing/
- University of Washington https://english.washington.edu/mfa-creative-writing
- Western, Bellingham https://chss.wwu.edu/english/department-english-mfa-creative-writing